Monday, January 30, 2012

Throw 30 Things

I've mentioned before that my house is SMALL. We are three people (well, two and a half, hoping to become more!) sharing one bathroom and two tiny bedrooms. We also have a kitchen, an entry, and a "great room" which is our living and dining space in one. We love our house and are so thankful for it.
But again...it's SMALL.
I've been spinning my wheels lately trying to figure out why no matter what I do, there always seems to be stuff laying around. Stuff in piles, stuff on furniture, stuff everywhere! The stuff could be clothes, books, papers, or knick-knacks...but we have a lot of it. So, you do the math with me:
Small house + Lots of stuff = OUT OF CONTROL CLUTTER!
So I'm clutter-busting, little by little. I'm starting a little system I like to call: Throw 30 Things (Away). Sounds simple, right? Because it is.
There are 12 months of the year and six rooms in my house. Each month, I am going to throw 30 things away in it's designated room. To keep me from forgetting, I'm going to do this on the last day of every month. For example, this month (tomorrow, actually) I'm going to get rid of 30 things in my bathroom. ANY 30 things that haven't been used in forever or do not bring joy or purpose to our lives on a somewhat regular basis (i.e. Advil brings me comfort and my husband joy just about once every month!).
I don't have to necessarily throw things away - as in put it out on the curb for garbage day. If there is something I think could be useful to someone else, I may take it to Goodwill or give it to a friend who may have a better use for it. However, on the last day of every month, I am committing to getting 30 things OUT of my house!
The change will happen slowly at first, but I'm convinced there are at least 30 things I could get rid of in every room twice a year. There are probably 60 but I'm trying to do things in baby-steps, here.
So here goes nothing, I'm hoping the first day of Throw 30 Things goes well. And if it doesn't, I may literally be throwing some things because I just can't stand the stuff anymore!

No comments:

Post a Comment