Monday, January 9, 2012

Getting Rid of the Entry Uglies

Having recently posted about my new love of Pinterest, I will show you just exactly how I'm planning on putting it to good use. My first project is part art, part organizing. Here's a link that will show you exactly what I'm talking about:

http://pinterest.com/pin/5981411974813093/

My house is small, as I think I've mentioned before. Don't get me wrong, I love it - it's a great house and it is God's provision. We are definitely blessed to have been able to purchase a home in Connecticut, of all places! Where every square foot seems to be a bajillion dollars. But I digress...

One of the major problems of having a small house is finding a place to put everything. Sure, the furniture and appliances have their place, but I'm talking about the CLUTTER. Oh, the clutter! I can never seem to get on top of it. I pick up every day, multiple times a day but there always seems to be more papers, books, toys, clothes than I know what to do with. That's when the piles start happening...they're like little armies forming. Planning their attack. And some days I just feel like waving that dang white flag in surrender.

The entry is the WORST culprit. The first room you enter in my house is a big room but it feels like a lot of wasted space because all it's really good for is storage. But I want that storage to be cute. Is that so wrong?

Well THIS is 2012, the year I make my home homier. So I'm starting with this project - painting a bookshelf we already have white - and getting canvas bins for Josh's toys - 1 will be for blocks, 1 for cars + trucks, 1 for stuffed animals, etc. This will be in the entry but it won't look like toy storage...it will look like a cute little shelf with a beautiful mirror hanging over it, and a sweet little lamp on top - maybe a flower or two as well.

Incidentally, I actually have a mirror that looks just like the one in the picture currently taking up valuable real estate in my basement. I'm going to have hubby hang it up after I finish the painting.

I'm not working Sunday so after church when Josh is napping, I'm going to do my project. I can't wait!! I hope it turns out ok. I'm not much of a DIY girl! Yet!

I will post pictures of the before and after next week. Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment