Wednesday, January 11, 2012

New and Improved House Cleaning System

I realize it hasn't been that long since I posted my daily routine/weekly house cleaning schedule, but as with everything I do, it's a work in progress. And as I strive to get my house in order (and keep it that way) this year, I found that the old way just wasn't as efficient as it could be. So I made some changes.

The daily routine is just about the same as far as taking care of Josh goes, but trying to clean one room of the house each day of the week just wasn't working out. Instead, I am now divvying up the weekly housework as follows:

Monday - Clean Bathroom
1. Change & launder bath mat, towels, & washcloths
2. Clean toilet, bathtub/shower & sink
3. Windex bathroom mirror
4. Empty trash in bathroom & wipe trashcan inside and out
5. Clean kitchen trash cans inside and out

Tuesday - Ironing, Water Plants, Empty Trash
1. Water plants (if needed - usually only in spring/summer since I kill all things green inside)
2. Empty trash in master bedroom
3. Empty trash & diaper genie in Josh's room
4. Iron clothes for the week
5. Windex front door window panes

Wednesday - Dust & Misc. Tasks
1. Dust furniture, objects, light fixtures in every room of the house
2. Fluff pillows and comforter in master bedroom
3. Windex mirror in entry

Thursday - Vacuum & Misc. Tasks
1. Vacuum all rooms in house
2. Vacuum vents throughout house
3. Clean out fridge
4. Sort & toss magazines/catalogs in living room
5. Clean litter box
6. Wipe kitchen appliances

Friday - Scrub Floors & Change Bed Linens
1. Scrub floors in all rooms of the house
2. Change bed linens on our bed & Josh's

And there you have it. Experience has taught me that it just makes more sense (and saves time) to get out the vacuum only once, make up the bucket of mop water only once, and do the dusting once per week as opposed to doing a little of each chore in a different room each day.

I'm happy to report that after one week on this plan, I dread housework a lot less and a lot more is getting done. I may have just finally found a way to get the weekly cleaning done in just a half hour a day. Can I get an Amen for that?!

No comments:

Post a Comment