Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Small Fries

Last week I had to take BOTH my boys to the doctor because they are...small.  Which shouldn't come as a shock to anyone considering their mom is (pre-pregnancy) small and their dad is no football player!  However, doctors will be doctors and I have to try to put my mind at ease about it.

  Josh had a weight check because since his first birthday he has struggled to gain weight.  He has gained some weight, but not at the rate the doctors would like to see.  The exact same thing happened to me when I was about 15 months old - from that point on in my life (again, pre-pregnancy!) I, too, struggled to gain weight.  Our pediatrician doesn't think there is any reason to be concerned, given the family history, but told me it's just something we're going to have to keep an eye on...for the rest of his life.  AWESOME.  Still, I am thankful my boy is healthy and seems to be thriving in every other way.  He's getting taller, he's talking up a storm, his memory is awesome, and he's very active.  Just the other day he "read" an entire book to daddy from memory and the picture cues...I mean seriously, MIT, here we come!! :)

My other boy (still 2 months away from his due date) is now measuring small in utero, which is something that never happened with Josh.  The doctor is having me do ultrasounds about every two weeks from here on out to monitor his growth and development.  It's hard not to worry, but the doctor says he is just slightly smaller than she would like him to be for his gestational age.  She just wants to make sure he is growing and gaining in there - and stated he would probably just be a smaller baby when he's born - maybe 6-7 lbs. rather than 7-8 or 9.  That's fine with me!  As long as he's healthy and growing, that's all that matters.  In other news, the ultrasound revealed he is BREECH right now...UGH!  My doctor said he still has time to turn around, so I am VERY hopeful he will.  I was so scared to have a vaginal birth the first time around, but now that I know it's not so bad (with an epidural, of course!) I am more terrified of having to have a C-section.  Especially since the recovery period is much longer and I already have a toddler at home.  I know everything will work out just the way it's supposed to, but here's hoping this boy turns his little booty around (literally) in the very near future!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment